Friday 24 February 2012

Characters of the Marathon


At fifty-nine years, retirement is the buzzword for most people. At the same age, Joe Farrugia’s determination and quest for new challenges made him return to a full marathon. A wife, three daughters and a grand-daughter will be cheering him on the sidelines.


Joe, I believe you have a background in football. What got you into running?

I always trained hard in football and had a good physique for it. I retired from football at twenty-nine years. Retirement led me to gain weight so I started running alone to get fit again. I met a friend who was part of an athletic club and he told me to join and I did so. Four months later he suggested I should take part in the Half Marathon and I did. I was very satisfied with my time so I continued training.


Apart from running, you also coach for Mellieħa AC. How do you manage to juggle the two – running and coaching?

Actually I’m a trainer not a coach yet. It’s not easy but since it’s something I enjoy doing I try to manage my time properly. On Wednesdays , straight after I finish work, I do my personal training at St. Aloysius Complex. Then I have a quick shower and go to Mosta to meet the beginners and do the training session with them. Regarding the coaching and running in the weekend, I don’t work on Saturdays and Sundays so it’s not a problem for me.


How many marathons have you done and when? What is your personal best?

I did three full marathons, one challenge marathon, seven half marathons and another two abroad -in Berlin and Edinburgh. My personal bests are 3.05 in a full marathon and 1.27 in a half marathon.


It seems that you dominate your age category. You’ve won the Mellieħa AC athlete of the year. But you’re still full of motivation for every race you do. What keeps your motivation so high?

The sense of challenge and the fact that running affects my well-being are the two main things that keep me going on. I am very determined in achieving my goals and when I enjoy doing something I dedicate myself to it.


And at your age, what’s made you return to the full marathon?

It has always been in my mind to try and do it in a better time. I don’t know if this will be the one but I will certainly try my best!


What is the best thing for you about running?

Running helps me to feel fit and healthy whilst at the same time you get to know new people and make new friends.


You have done marathons before. At what stage do you feel that the distance start dividing between the real athletes and the others?

When the front runners start the marathon they will be running at about 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds per km faster than the others. In fact, after two kilometres they will vanish from the others as they would be running with a competitive advantage.


Was there any difference from this year’s marathon preparation to the previous ones?

This year as you might have seen and experienced our beloved coach Has Kesra decided to start this so called fourth generation training programme. The training was completely different to previous years. However I think it’s a good type of training.


Finally, would you like to thank anyone who supported you through this period before the big race?

Yes, I would like to thank first and foremost my wife and family who are very supportive and they are always there for me. Secondly, the Mellieħa committee for their help and the athletes for their good advices. Last but not least, a big thank you goes to our greatest coach Has Kesra for his continuous dedication!

No comments:

Post a Comment